Happy New Years, people!
I’ve been taking it easy the last week and a half, chillaxing in Rehoboth Beach, DE. You might not think that that would be a good place to be in the middle of winter, but you would be wrong, it was great. Luckily for you guys, while I was admiring nature, eating delicious pastries, and catching up on my Peter Molyneux games (also known asÂ ”doing research”), Builderman was slaving away inÂ the pixel mines. So we may see a new release this week. Unless there’s a cave-in.
The Roblog often looks forward towards new features that we have been thinking about, but today I’m going to look backwards at what we accomplished in 2006.
- Erik single-handedly put together the first gen Roblox website
- Builderman flips out and writes a physics engineÂ
- Roblox goes live with multiplayer action online.
- John Shedletsky, some random CS grad we found joins the team.
- Leaderboard added to BrickBattle
- Slingshot, rocket launcher, wall builder, superball, time bomb, and flamethrower added to game
- Community building game added
- Crossroads, Chaos Canyon, Haunted Mansion, and Santa’s Winter Stronghold levels added
- Mesh support added to Roblox
- Matt Dusek, web development prodigy joinsÂ the team.
- Friends and messaging added to Roblox
- User places made multiplayer
- Players get personal inventories
- Badges added to Roblox
- Stats added to Roblox
- Image server conquered
- Erik fortifies the borders of his desk to defend against my army of evil robotic killing machines
- Roblog comes online
- Builderman flips out and writes a physics engine
- No one finds the rare armor
- Searching through people, places, and things added
- New Toolbox added
- Improvements to network performance made
- One hundred thousand bugs createdÂ ; oneÂ million bugs fixed
- 10,000+ users added
There are about 25 other things I didn’t mention, so when you break it down, we knocked off one item from this list every week.
We’re doing a wrap-up of things left dangling from 2006 right now and then we will launch into an exciting new design phase where nothing less than the very future of Roblox will be decided. Dramatic and true.