The holiday commercials started airing weeks ago but, at ROBLOX, we’re so tasteful we waited until almost-December to kick off our holiday promotions. That can only mean one thing: it’s time for this year’s holiday extravaganza, Giftsplosion 2012. Throughout the month of December, we’ll be placing mystery gift boxes in the ROBLOX Catalog and awarding them to users who either meet certain criteria or have the wit to crack the riddle they contain. Eventually, they’ll open and reveal a new addition to your inventory of goods.
We’ve already released the first gift, the ROBLOX Newshound Gift (pictured at right), which you can obtain for free by opting in to receive emails from ROBLOX with a verified email address by December 5 at 11:59 p.m. PST. (If you do not want to receive email from ROBLOX but want the gift, it will be on sale for a limited time in the Catalog in the coming days.) You can verify your email address and opt in to receive emails on your ROBLOX Account Settings page, accessed by clicking “Account” in the navigation bar. If you need more of a hint or guidance, check the System Notifications of your ROBLOX account. Consider this gift a freebie.
You may be wondering why we care about you checking the box to receive email from ROBLOX. We have plans to expand our email offerings in the coming year with curated selections of content and deals on virtual goods. We want to keep ROBLOX users in the loop about what’s new on our platform and provide exclusive offers. Email is a great channel for this sort of information.
We’ll be releasing additional gifts — some much more challenging to obtain — as the month goes on. Stay tuned.
- Gifts are given for meeting specific conditions. For example, in the past we have given gifts to every player who had 1,000 profile views, a verified email address or a certain number of posts in the Scripting Helpers Forum. Sometimes it will be obvious what the conditions are. Other times they will be a mystery.
- If you meet the conditions at the time when the gift is being given, you get the gift for free.
- If you don’t, you don’t. Each gift is given out once and only once.
- Don’t worry, you will get a chance to purchase the gifts you’ve missed before they open.
- All gifts will eventually open. Players who own a gift box will get the gift that is inside automatically. The name of the gift box changes to let you know it has opened.
- Once a gift has opened, there is no way to get it if you missed it.
- Some gifts will be easy to get. Others will be awarded to only a select few.
We’ve been running giftsplosions on ROBLOX for the last few years. If you’re new to ROBLOX, check out these blog posts for insight into how the event has worked in the past and examples of a couple challenges from years past: