News From GDC: Introducing the Next Game Fund Recipients
by Jad Boniface
In July 2021, Roblox launched a program called the Game Fund with $25 million in funding to support developers and studios in their quest to build the next generation of experiences on our platform, leveraging high-fidelity imagery and the latest technology. Today at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, we introduced a first look at the games being built by two of the initial recipients, Splitting Point Studios and Sonar Studios, which add to the millions of experiences on Roblox. We sat down with the developers to discuss the tools they used to start creating, how they are iterating on and testing their experiences in pre-alpha, how they make the most out of the feedback from early users, and how they have turned their passion into full-blown careers. Their goal: push the boundaries of what exists on Roblox today.
Check out a sneak peek at what they’re building, and click here to submit your application to the Roblox Game Fund today!
Winds of Fortune, by Sonar Studios
Winds of Fortune is an open-world pirate exploration game with visually breathtaking environments. Battle, explore, and plunder your way through the greatest myths and legends to become the most fearsome pirate on the seven seas.
Rolling Thunder, by Splitting Point Studios
Rolling Thunder is a large-scale, high-fidelity FPS set in an environment of lush jungles and cities. Get ready to be immersed in squad-based gameplay, multiple game modes, and large scale vehicular combat including tanks, helicopters and planes.
Also on stage, we announced three new Game Fund recipients:
- Ruin is a competitive PVE roguelite by Looty Games. Team up, slay immense raid bosses, and earn game-changing limited-edition Avatar Shop items or die trying!
- RIOTFALL is a fast-paced, multiplayer FPS by Rodeo Interactive that brings detailed visuals and pick-up and play game style, engaging novice to skilled players alike. Master your unique play style using a variety of loadouts.
- Secret Neighbor is a survival horror stealth game by Tiny Build set in the Hello Neighbor universe. Explore the house with your friends, but beware—one of you is the Neighbor in disguise. Use teamwork and rescue your friend from the basement, or mess with everyone’s heads as the Neighbor!
Congratulations to these phenomenal studios, who join the ranks of Splitting Point, Sonar, and Blockage as our Game Fund recipients.
Expanding the Program
It’s not too late to apply! The deadline to submit is July 2022, which will mark the one-year anniversary of the Game Fund.
We’re looking for projects with innovative gameplay, ambitious visual designs, and creative ideas that are unlike anything else on the platform. We’ll prioritize ideas that encompass the following:
- Multiplayer, cross-platform gameplay, with mobile optimization in mind
- Social mechanics that are fundamental to the experience
- In-game avatars that reflect elements of the user’s platform identity
- Ability to leverage items from the Avatar Shop
If you are accepted into the program, we will partner with you to define key deliverables for your project and provide funding based on your progress toward those milestones.
- Details about you and/or your team
- A short description of your project
- A pitch deck (high-level strategy, design specifications, etc.)
- Project milestone schedule and budget
Spots are limited; if you feel like you and your project are a perfect fit for this program, please click here to submit your application. We will be reviewing and selecting applications on an ongoing basis. You must be 18 or older to apply.